Get Help With the Cost of Living

If you don’t have enough to live on, you might be able to get help from the government or your local council to afford essentials like bills and food. This includes the Household Support Fund and Cost of Living Payments.

Check what benefits you can get

You might be able to claim benefits or increase your current benefits if you’re:

  • of working age and on a low income

  • sick or disabled

  • of State Pension age and on a low income

  • a carer

  • responsible for children

Check what help you can get from your local council

Your local council might help you pay for things like:

  • your energy and water bills
  • food
  • essential items – for example, clothes or an oven

This help is known as ‘welfare assistance’ or the ‘Household Support Fund’. Each council runs their own scheme. The help they offer and who can get it varies.

Ask your local council if they run a welfare assistance or Household Support Fund scheme. You can find out how to contact your local council on GOV.UK.

You don’t have to be getting benefits to get help from your local council. If you do get benefits, they won’t be affected if you start getting money from a welfare assistance or Household Support Fund scheme.

Visit Citizens Advice Bromley for more information on getting support